Monday, April 25, 2011

A traveling we will go!

What a whirlwind two days we have had!  We spent our last night in East Kilbride going to dinner with Ian's family and on Sunday we set out on our journey north to the Isle of Skye.  Just northwest of Glasgow is Loch Lomond, a huge, beautiful lake that is very popular, but this time of year, on Easter Sunday, it was quite desserted.  The first village we came upon was Luss, a quaint Scottish lake village complete with locals, sweet pups, sheep, and swans. (On the way back today, we pulled over in the same village and it was like an ant hill...tourists everywhere!)
Great cottage in Luss village at Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
We made our way up the west side of the country and the scenery was stunning.  I had to stop the car at least a dozen times for Ian to take pictures, but I hardly minded as the vistas were worth every stop and start.  I will also say that at times, these roads were not for the faint of heart.  Especially when you met an oncoming lorrie, or as we know it, a semi truck!  It would make your hiney grab the seat, for sure.  It was on this leg of the trip that we saw our first castle ruin.  Eilean Donan is a magnificent castle that dates back 300 years or more.  http://www.eileandonancastle.com/
Eilean Donan Castle






Just as you passed this castle, you crossed the bridge to the Isle of Skye.  We checked into what we thought was an ok hotel and then made our way up to the Old Man of Storr.  I had no idea what was in 'storr' for me.  You park at the foot of the mountain and begin a very steep hike through some of the densest forest you have ever seen.  If you were in the middle of the forest, it would be almost as dark as night. 
Forest path to Old Man of Storr


Once you are through the forest, you finally see the Old Man of Storr, and what a grand site it is.  The main rock bears a resemblance to an old man's face, but I like to think he is there guarding the sound below.  It was a great hike until Ian tried to make me go up the lose rocks, where rock slides had obviously occured.  Once I cleared that hurdle, I was moved by the views.  I thought of all those gone before me, all of those in my life now, and all the memories yet to come.  It was worth every step and mile traveled to get here.
Emerging from the forest toward the Old Man of Storr

Old Man of Storr

View from just under the Old Man of Storr
This morning we woke up to a stupendous sunrise from our hotel in Potree.  The room was just ok, but the view was amazing.  We had our breakfast and headed back down the west coast toward England.
View from Royal Hotel, Portree Scotland
We mostly backtracked the route from yesterday back down to Glasgow.  We took a few new turns and enjoyed every mile traveled.  Our trip ended today, 10 hours later, in Keswick (Kessick), England in the Lake District.  We arrived just before dark and checked in to our bed and breakfast, a cute stone house with an awesome room.  
Stonegarth Guest House, Keswick England

"She said to her man, get off that divan..."
Finally, I will say that I already have many many great memories of the United Kingdom and a few Happy Secrets!!!  Cheers to everyone and thanks for checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment